MHVillages.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Inside Mountain House > Mountain House Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revival of the Mococo Train Line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revival of the Mococo Train Line
    Posted: August-10-2008 at 9:40pm
Anyone else hear of this?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_10151526?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com

It would solve the problem of the nasty rail cars, but create a whole new problem of noise pollution and traffic.

ebrls60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebrls60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2008 at 9:53pm
Just read the same article!  

Not much of an impact for us on this side of the Byron Hwy, but sure would be tough on Tracy and the future villages across the road. 

Wonder what it would also do to the talk about a commuter train from Byron to Pittsburg BART?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
atomco View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 8:40am
Yeah, I'm sure this would affect eBART. I haven't heard anything from that aspect yet. I know Tracy isn't happy about it. If it is reactivated, it will effectively kill their new transit station they're building. I'm a little too close to Questa on the North end of Altamont here and I think the noise may affect me a little. Not too happy about it either.

It will also slow down our drive time to Tracy since that messed up intersection at Byron Hwy and Grantline Road will now include a train we'll have to dodge. They'd better really fix that intersection if they're going to run the train on it again because if they don't, they're going to have way too many accidents with a train running along there. I may just have to take Bethany road to Tracy from now on if they start running the train again.
fran View Drop Down

The Brit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 8:47am
1-2 2-mile trainsto begin with, and then up to 12 trains a day.

Imagine the traffic queue going to Costco? Its bad enough at rush hour waiting 20 minutes to turn left on to GLR.

One positive note, at least they will have to move the boxcar graveyard..

Fran
Hags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 2:16pm
This does not make me happy. Very upsetting, doesn't look like there is a date set, but also doesn't look like UP is obligated to tell us when they are going to start. I am very concerned about how this will effect us, since we will be "cut-off" from one of our main routes into tracy

Edited by Hags - August-11-2008 at 2:18pm
fran View Drop Down

The Brit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Hags Hags wrote:

This does not make me happy. Very upsetting, doesn't look like there is a date set, but also doesn't look like UP is obligated to tell us when they are going to start. I am very concerned about how this will effect us, since we will be "cut-off" from one of our main routes into tracy

I wouldn't say cut off, you just need to be a little more dynamic in your route planning, ie: It would be better heading nothing along Byron and deciding whether to cut across early at Henderson/Bethany to get to the Mall, or at GLR/Byron.

Getting to downtown Tracy can be got at either via 205/GLR or 205/TracyBlvd, getting to south Tracy, go over the 205 via Hansen Road and W Schulte and then to S Lammers.

Only small diversions and all can be decided upon once you reach Henderson...

Fran
fran View Drop Down

The Brit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 3:47pm
One point, once the boxcar graveyard is gone, we could get a manual push-cart a la Wile-E-Coyote style and get into Tracy a lot fast than car even..

Fran
bayareaboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayareaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2008 at 6:12pm

The noise will most likely be a major issue for Mountain House. Having lived near, but outside of Oakland, I know that the train siren can be heard as far away as two miles from the source, lasting for intervals of up to 5-10 minutes depending on how fast the train passes by. Usually it can be fairly slow. The noise is further amplified on warm nights.

As for eBART, hopefully something gets worked out (double tracks, etc.). If not, there is always Greenville BART.

I think that Union Pacific might be using this as publicity in their favor. Even if they are unable to revive the Mococo Line, they will be compensated by BART or the government, under the pretense that they will lose money from being unable to serve clients.

Mister Dillon View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
67 65 65 6B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 9:04am
Originally posted by fran fran wrote:

One point, once the boxcar graveyard is gone, we could get a manual push-cart a la Wile-E-Coyote style and get into Tracy a lot fast than car even..

Fran

OOH! With an ACME rocket strapped on the back!

Those box cars always remind me of "Twin Peaks."
"Eschewing the obfuscation since 1969."
ebrls60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebrls60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 11:41am
Originally posted by atomco atomco wrote:

It will also slow down our drive time to Tracy since that messed up intersection at Byron Hwy and Grantline Road will now include a train we'll have to dodge. They'd better really fix that intersection if they're going to run the train on it again because if they don't, they're going to have way too many accidents with a train running along there. I may just have to take Bethany road to Tracy from now on if they start running the train again.

There will some day be an on and off ramp from the 205 at Lammers, that whole intersection will be reconfigured then.  Not sure about the time frame though. 
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Jeff View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
My name is Jeff but friends call me Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 11:57am
There was mention of underpasses for Grant Line, Coral Hallow, 11th and Tracy Blvd. Let's hope that UP helps Tracy & SJ County cover those expenses.
atomco View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Jeff Jeff wrote:

There was mention of underpasses for Grant Line, Coral Hallow, 11th and Tracy Blvd. Let's hope that UP helps Tracy & SJ County cover those expenses.

At a whopping $35 million a pop I sure hope so. Their transit center is only going to cost them $12 million; if the line goes active, they'll not only lose $12 million, since their transit center will be defunct, but also $35 million for each intersection where they don't want a major traffic backup. I bet Tracy is ticked!
fran View Drop Down

The Brit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 5:12pm
Maybe we should give them the Delta College annex as a face saving gesture ;-)

In a related point, this will affect getting to KImball high wouldn't it?

Fran
fran View Drop Down

The Brit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by ebrls60 ebrls60 wrote:

There will some day be an on and off ramp from the 205 at Lammers, that whole intersection will be reconfigured then.  Not sure about the time frame though. 

Just looking at googlemap for Tracy, and IMHO Tracy will be completely foobar'ed if even 3-4 trains run through a day, imagine TracyFD on 11st trying to get anywhere in an emergency and South Tracy's ability to get to Sutter... TBH the only effect on us travelling to Tracy is central Tracy, and hands up how many people visit there each day?
Fran
atomco View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 5:25pm

Originally posted by ebrls60 ebrls60 wrote:

Just looking at googlemap for Tracy, and IMHO Tracy will be completely foobar'ed if even 3-4 trains run through a day, imagine TracyFD on 11st trying to get anywhere in an emergency and South Tracy's ability to get to Sutter... TBH the only effect on us travelling to Tracy is central Tracy, and hands up how many people visit there each day?
Fran

Never pass Corral Hollow if I can help it.
fran View Drop Down

The Brit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 5:34pm

So no Safeway or Savemart?
CloudMachina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudMachina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 5:38pm

What about Safemart? Tongue
atomco View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2008 at 7:13pm

Ok, a little past Corral Hollow to Safeway...and I can occasionally be spotted at ACE Hardware, Foodmaxx, Dollar Tree and BigLots. In-N-Out burger is also a must and I visit the Prime Outlets on occasion. I don't go to anywhere else in Tracy much.

I avoid Savemart at all costs. I've been in a few times and the prices just don't seem to be any better than Safeway. My protest is more personal though since Savemart owns 4 of the 5 grocery stores in Tracy and is suing Winco so they can't come in.
Jeff View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
My name is Jeff but friends call me Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 7:21am

In a related point, this will affect getting to KImball high wouldn't it?

This depends on the direction you drive. Kimball will not be across any tracks. You could take 205 to 11th to get there.

Btw, also unrelated... Someone mentioned that the construction started at Kimball. It has not. There is still a giant "for sale" sign from Pombo Realty there. The field is full of cattle. Tracy is a bit behind schedule.
atomco View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2008 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Jeff Jeff wrote:

Btw, also unrelated... Someone mentioned that the construction started at Kimball. It has not. There is still a giant "for sale" sign from Pombo Realty there. The field is full of cattle. Tracy is a bit behind schedule.

And they wonder why Delta College isn't interested in their offer...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic