Facebook
Google+
Google+

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Banta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poker
    Posted: September-25-2009 at 6:27pm
It's been a long time since I've been to a poker night.
I'm sure we have people here who want to play a little.
Fun play, no serious stuff.
Who is interested?

and yes we are talking about Texas Hold'em
norgard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norgard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2009 at 7:08pm
Hi, I'd be interested if we can get enough people to play.
Greg
cdog View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
C-Dog's Opinions are actually Facts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2009 at 9:48pm
I would play, provided it was for some money.  Not huge sums, but 20ish.  And I will play pretty much any card game, from Holdem to Baseball.
Keeping it real in MH since 2007!!
Mountain House Running Club
Mountain House Poker Club
MzJodi View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MzJodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2009 at 10:07pm

I just have a question.

WHY does everyone like Hold'Em so much? I far prefer stud or draw but I am in the minority.
cdog View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by MzJodi MzJodi wrote:

I just have a question.

WHY does everyone like Hold'Em so much? I far prefer stud or draw but I am in the minority.

Its probably from the TV.  And I personally think Omaha is way more action inducing for home games.
btra View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 9:21am

I just have a question.

I think it's because the community cards and only two downcards make it easy to think about both your hand and your opponents' hands without there being too many possibilities.  You can name somebody's exact cards sometimes without being an expert, and that's gratifying.  That isn't going to happen much in stud or draw or even Omaha.

Then there's the TV effect for sure, but there's gotta be a reason the TV games are largely hold'em.

Bob

Edited by btra - September-26-2009 at 9:21am
JustCallMeCoors_ligh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustCallMeCoors_ligh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 10:39am
Hold'em is an easier game to learn IMO. Omaha takes a little bit to learn and I dont think too many people would be interested in it.. Whether you are learning H/L or High. I prefer the action from Omaha but Hold'Em is an easier game and I can drink while I play it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustCallMeCoors_ligh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 10:40am
cdog- do you play at any local card rooms?
MzJodi View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MzJodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 11:57am
Originally posted by JustCallMeCoors_ligh JustCallMeCoors_ligh wrote:

I prefer the action from Omaha but Hold'Em is an easier game and I can drink while I play it.

LOL OK, that I get.

we played a lot of cards in my house and Hold'Em was considered a novelty game that you threw into  the mix every few hands...like baseball or 7 card no-peek or that one dealer who'd always wanted suicide kings, one eyed jacks and red aces as wild cards. It was just to relieve the tension plus make it easier for anyone to play.
I've never played Omaha. I'll have to look that up.

Edited by MzJodi - September-26-2009 at 11:58am
cdog View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 11:58am

cdog- do you play at any local card rooms?

Not in a long time.  i used to play with some regularity at the California Grand, and the palace in Hayward.  Like 1 or 2 times a week for a while.  I also used to play online a lot.   I would love to set up a regular game here in Mountain house, weekly or monthly of Hold Em or whatever really.  tournament style or cash game.  i have a table, copaqs/kems, and 2 very nice chipco ceramic chip sets.

lets make this into an interest list then.  if enough people are interested, we can all meet up for a cash game next weekend maybe, and then discuss possibly doing a regular cash game or a tourney circuit sort of thing.  i used to play in a very fun tourney circuit at a friends house in tracy monthly, but then i had callie, and it became much harder to go out and do things at other people's houses.  But the house I am in now has a space perfect for a poker game, so maybe something could work out.
cdog View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 11:59am

I prefer the action from Omaha but Hold'Em is an easier game and I can drink while I play it.

LOL OK, that I get.

we played a lot of cards in my house and Hold'Em was considered a novelty game that you threw into  the mix every few hands...like baseball or 7 card no-peek or that one dealer who'd always wanted suicide kings, one eyed jacks and red aces as wild cards. It was just to relieve the tension plus make it easier for anyone to play.
I've never played Omaha. I'll have to look that up.

honestly, i find stud variants to be incredibly boring.  i do like Draw games though.  I am a big fan of 2-7 triple draw, and Badugi.

Drew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 12:28pm

Count me in. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustCallMeCoors_ligh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 1:00pm
C-dog you should check out the new Grand... Its across the street from where they used to be. I would be in for a poker game/tournament whenever except this week since I will be in Cabo.

I havent figured out 2-7 or any of those. I really only know how to play hold'em. omaha. and razz... Sometimes I need four or more cards to make a hand so Hold'em would be interesting. Let me know if you want to get something started.. I think it would be fun.
mormy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 8:51pm
I also would be interested if I could! I don't know Texas hold em or Obama but willing to learn.I do know regular poker (7 card stud,baseball,no peekee etc.Please let me know if you get something together.
mormy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2009 at 9:49am
I mean omaha not obama what was I thinking?
jattsrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jattsrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2009 at 6:06pm
you can add me in the interest list....
Alliedimage View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliedimage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 7:44am
C-dog

You know I'm down for whatever gets going. I'll play it all, but I would really like to do a tourney circuit. It sets up a good group of regulars. It's funny how people almost ALWAYS find a way to attend when they already have a little bit of money invested. ;)
cdog View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 10:06am
I actually love the idea of a tourney circuit.  I could support a 2 table tourney in my house pretty easily.  Probably 3, but I only have 2 reasonable tables.  I will send out a mail this week to the people who have expressed interest and see if we can get a monthly tourney going.
mormy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 12:01pm
how does a tourney circuit work?
cdog View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by mormy mormy wrote:

how does a tourney circuit work?

Generally, what you do is just run a tourney each month for the same price.  You can add on more stuff to it though.

But first we would just run it straight for a few months.  In most cases the game is NL Texas Hold 'Em, but that is because that's what people know and want to play.

Once you have a good group going you can add in some sweeteners.  A Common sweetener is:

Everyone puts in a dollar amount at the beginning of the year (usually a divisor of 1500 since that's the smallest WSOP seat I think).  And then each event is played like a regular money tourney (with buyins being paid at each tourney) and you assign points to everyone in the league based on finish.  At the end of the year the person with the most points gets the money to buy into a wsop event.  Or you can just do this with Cash as well.

Basically though, by getting the upfront investment everyone has more reason to attend all events, and there is more emphasis on playing well throughout the year as opposed to just getting lucky and winning one event.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic