MHVillages.com - A Community Connected

MHVillages Wiki
MH Wiki
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
Google+

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Les Schwab tire vs America's Tires vs Costco Tires
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Les Schwab tire vs America's Tires vs Costco Tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which company do you think gives the best service and value
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [23.08%]
21 [40.38%]
19 [36.54%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ebrls60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebrls60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Les Schwab tire vs America's Tires vs Costco Tires
    Posted: December-23-2008 at 7:41am
I have to replace my tires before the "Christmas east bay travel marathon".  I have always used America's Tire, but was curious if any one has had any experiences with the others! 

Ermm Looking for high quality on a recession budget!!!! LOL

Thanks for any feedback!

Happy Holiday's

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Jeff90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2008 at 7:56am
I have used America's Tire ever since I moved out here 4.5 years ago and they were great. But when I needed a new pair of front tires I price checked with the 3 you mentioned and I got a 70,000 mile tire at Les Schwabs for the same price I was paying for a 50,000 mile tire at America's Tire. Both were off brand tires, and not name brand.

At Costco, my size tire in a brand name was alot more and did not come with a millage warranty for some reason.
atomco View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2008 at 8:04am
I was looking into Les Schwab Tire, but they seem to carry mostly off brand tires. I'm sure many are good tires, but how can I trust that? I went with America's Tire once again because I knew what I was getting.
Missus Dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missus Dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2008 at 9:48am
I just got new tires, an oil change/fluids topped off and a wheel alignment at Big-O in Tracy. The service was great. I am not sure it was a bargain though? $450. 
Jeff View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
My name is Jeff but friends call me Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2008 at 11:35am
I had Les Schwab tires on my TL. They sold them to me with the understanding that there was a warranty. When I returned with worn tires, ready to be replaced with less than half the warrantied mileage used, they told me that MY tires didn't cary a warranty and that I couldn't find ANY brand of high performance tire that does. Sure-enough, reading through my paperwork, I couldn't find anything about the warranty that my sales guy swore up and down that my tires had (when I bought them). Customer service, second to none at-all. One last-ditch effort to keep me as a customer, they told me that nobody else offers free rotation, balancing or tire repair. He also reminded me that they greet customers as they pull into their parking spots outside. I told him that I actually didn't like that at all, and seemed a little contrived.

I went to Costco. The Michelin's were expensive and no warranty. I like Costco for everything else though.

I went to America's tire company for Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires, which DO have a warranty, and they were cheaper than Les Schwab's off-brand without a warranty. The Bridgestones grip the road really well. America's Tire Co. is the best, in my book. Like everyone else, they include lifetime rotation, balancing and tire repair.
Miranda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miranda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2008 at 8:26pm
I've never tried America's but I priced some at Costco and got roughly the same tire for $200 less at Les Schwab.  I have bought their Toyo's there a couple times for my cars in the past and my hubbys truck.  Great tires, great price, great services.
Lovin' Mountain House
guero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2008 at 6:15am
I go with costco. I shopped around when I needed new tires and found them to have a good price. Another thing that I really like about Costco is they use nitrogen instead of filling with air, which holds in the tires better and you dont have to worry about tire pressure, which will help with tire wear and make them last longer, and nitrogen doesnt expand in the heat of summer like air does, which also helps with the tire wear. They are also great with the lifetime free rotation and balance. You just show up and the will rotate and balance for free.
ZERO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZERO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2008 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by atomco atomco wrote:

I was looking into Les Schwab Tire, but they seem to carry mostly off brand tires. I'm sure many are good tires, but how can I trust that? I went with America's Tire once again because I knew what I was getting.

checkout this site. all reviews on most of the models and brand of tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments
JonR View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
Bringer of the Wind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2008 at 9:47am
Ditto Guero's comments, and I'll add that Costco also carries Michelin tires that aren't available in other stores...tires that have received good ratings in Consumer Reports.  I'll have to double-check my paperwork, but I do believe that the Michelin tires that I bought at Costco do have a warranty similar to what America's Tire and Wheel Works would offer.  Also, Costco often has $60-$80 rebate specials on their Michelin tires.
Jeff View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
My name is Jeff but friends call me Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 10:54am
Costco is great, if you want the best name-brand tires for MOST cars. If you want high-performance tires with a warranty, you'll have to shop elsewhere.
Mario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2008 at 11:37am
If you can find your tire size at Costco, go with Costco.  They offer great prices, free balancing, rotation and great service overall.
tlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 8:07pm
Also, Costco pricing includes mounting, balance, and valve stem, this can sometimes add up to an extra $20 to the price per tire.
Thomas
CloudMachina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CloudMachina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2009 at 2:02pm
I go to America's Tires.  They have good service.
Dorothea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dorothea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 10:55pm
I bought tires at America's Tires.  When my husband found out how much I paid for them, He was not very happy.  I shopped at Costco and found their tires were much, much cheaper and had everything America's Tires had.  I went back to America's Tires and got the same tires I would've gotten at Costco for the same price of Costcos.  That's what happens when a woman goes to a place like that by herself.  Husband's decision always prevails, thank goodness!   
mattbots View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert
Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattbots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 8:29pm
Last time I took a flat to Les Schwab tire they fixed it and didn't charge me, and didn't try to sell me any other services. I'm not sure I've ever gone to a business where they provided all the services I needed and then told me to put my wallet away when I tried to pay. Is this typical for a simple plug or are these guys exceptional?
btra View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Jeff Jeff wrote:

I had Les Schwab tires on my TL. They sold them to me with the understanding that there was a warranty. When I returned with worn tires, ready to be replaced with less than half the warrantied mileage used, they told me that MY tires didn't cary a warranty and that I couldn't find ANY brand of high performance tire that does. Sure-enough, reading through my paperwork, I couldn't find anything about the warranty that my sales guy swore up and down that my tires had (when I bought them).

What they all seem to offer is a "road hazard" warranty which means nail punctures, etc.  Not wear.  That was probably what he was referring to.  If he didn't explain what was covered that's a little skeezy.

Edited by btra - January-03-2011 at 8:35pm
btra View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2011 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by mattbots mattbots wrote:

Last time I took a flat to Les Schwab tire they fixed it and didn't charge me, and didn't try to sell me any other services. I'm not sure I've ever gone to a business where they provided all the services I needed and then told me to put my wallet away when I tried to pay. Is this typical for a simple plug or are these guys exceptional?

They did the same for me, and it worked on me.  I've bought tires there several times since, and not had a problem with their value or service.

Mister Dillon View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
67 65 65 6B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mister Dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 12:17am
I woke up on a Saturday morning to a flat left rear tire with a drill bit sticking out of the tread. Took it to Big O in Livermore, they said there was no way they could repair it for me that weekend, none whatsoever. I asked if there was any other tire store around and they said "No." It's a good thing I remembered the America's Tire Company shop 2 blocks down the road, though, because I went in and they fixed it for me in 30 minutes. I broke out my wallet and they guy laughs and says to me "Oh, we don't charge for stuff like that! have a nice day!" These dudes will get my business again.
"Eschewing the obfuscation since 1969."
Jeff90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 7:38am
I believe that both American Tire and Les Schwab do not charge for tire repairs, they do this as a customer service to get your business when you do need tires. I have now tires from all three on 3 different cars. I price compare at the time I need tires. The tires I got at Costco were Name Brand and  cheaper only because of the $100.00 off coupon I had for a set of 4 tires.
Martyns View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2011 at 7:48am

I think you get a better deal at Costco with the coupons as we did.

“A good neighbor is one of the most effective crime prevention tools ever invented."

"What we don't know is what got us in trouble, what we thought we know is NOT true.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic