Google+

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Car Home Charger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
King Julian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Julian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Car Home Charger
    Posted: November-12-2013 at 8:05pm

Aerovirenment Inc. will be sending a contractor to my house. He will install a new (surface mounted) 240 volt 30 amp line and a receptacle from the service panel onto the garage wall and install the car charger to it. In order to do this he will need to pull a permit from the county and have his work inspected afterwards.

Has anyone undergone a similar experience in MH recently?
If so, what are your thoughts? 

Thanks
I like to move it, move it.
Jeff View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
My name is Jeff but friends call me Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 6:41am
It is my understanding that ANY time there are changes made to the electrical system in your home, you need a permit with the county. A licensed contractor should be handling that for you.
vinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 8:15am
My understanding is that all garages in MH has 240V outlet for EVs. May be you have to change just the outlet to match what your car needs. Check this before spending money on running a new line.
Dandro View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 8:20am
I know our garage has a 240 receptacle in it (Wicklund) and the house we rented in Bethany also had one as well (dedicated).

Jeff90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 10:23am
Our house in Wicklund was already wired with a 240V box int the garage. Just needed the outlet as stated above.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Julian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 4:37pm
Most homes in Wicklund have the 240 outlet in garage, but it is a low amp (10amp or 12amp for dryers). EV chargers require a 30amp 220 volt line. This is why a licensed electrician and a permit from the county is required. The electrician will pull a new 220/30amp line from the service panel and install the charger to it. I am sure most people can do this without hiring a professional.

I am scheduled to have this charger installed next week. I will post my experience here for anyone who wants to install one in the future.

Regards
OkieKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OkieKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 5:32pm
If you already have a 240v outlet in the garage it is most likely for a dryer as previously stated, but it will NOT be "low amp (10amp or 12amp for dryers)".  Current dryer circuits are 30amp.  Look at the outlet in your garage or your laundry room and you will find the outlet will have the following marks: "NEMA 14-30" and "30A-125/250v".  If you look in your load center (breaker box) you will find a corresponding 30A 2-pole (240v) breaker that should be marked for the laundry room and the garage, if you have one in your garage.

If you don't intend on using the dedicated "dryer circuit" in the garage, that circuit could be used for the 30A EVSE station.  If you want an additional 30A circuit in the garage, then a new breaker, wiring, and outlet would need to be installed.
vinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 6:15pm
The outlet in the garage is 30amp. It will be clearly marked on it.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Julian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 11:24am
Okiekid and vinnic, you are both right, and I stand corrected. The charger was installed this morning, and here are the details:

The charger and installation was setup by the  car dealership. This particular charger had to be hard wired with 40amp wire/circuit. That's why the existing 240v plug would not work. The contractor added a new circuit breaker in the utility panel and hard wired the new surface mounted charger to it. There is also an additional cost for the permit from the county.

Regards

bethany_resident View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bethany_resident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 9:59pm
I went with Clipper creek charger for my Nissan Leaf..Comes with the plug for NEMA 14-30 which my garage had. Just plugin and good to go

Can't beat the price at $549

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic