Facebook
Google+
Google+

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting outdoor grill to natural gas line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
atmouloua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atmouloua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting outdoor grill to natural gas line
    Posted: June-19-2012 at 3:42pm
Our house has a natural gas stub or whatever you call the little nub of pipe sticking out of the wall.
We want to connect it to our grill and have ordered the conversion kit. Do we need a plumber?
We don't want the cheesy looking hose.
Looking forward to stop schlepping propane cans to home depot....
Thanks
1hagop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1hagop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 3:46pm
It only takes 10 minutes.
Turn off gas
Remove plug
Install shut off valve and nipple
Turn on gas
Relight pilot for water heater.

It does not matter if you like the cheesy hose or not you will have to install it. The hose allows the grill to be movable, it is a safety item, and it you were to plumb the grill with pipe it would be permanent and most likely need a permit. 

President of the Society for the Advancement of Sarcasm. Like we need your support...

Sarc: My second favorite -asm.
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by 1hagop 1hagop wrote:

It only takes 10 minutes.
Turn off gas
Remove plug
Install shut off valve and nipple
Turn on gas
Relight pilot for water heater.

It does not matter if you like the cheesy hose or not you will have to install it. The hose allows the grill to be movable, it is a safety item, and it you were to plumb the grill with pipe it would be permanent and most likely need a permit. 

Brian covered this perfectly
Jeff View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
My name is Jeff but friends call me Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 4:48pm
I installed my own: I added the valve, had to adapt it down, then a M-M connector to the quick-release connector that came with the BBQ conversion kit.

jdeantate View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeantate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 6:28pm
It depends on your grill. Just by removing the jets in mine it runs Nat gas. Reinserting the jets and its back to propane. If you are going to have a buried line then make sure its at least 3 feet deep and that  you leak test every connection spot that will be buried. You can do this with dish soap while the gas is flowing. If there is a leak it'll bubble.

If you are just simply putting it with an extension hose like Jeff did, it'll be a lot easier and less time consuming but won't look at clean when its done.
Now taking bets on when my next Anti-Trimark censorship will occur!
atmouloua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atmouloua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 8:10pm
Our landscaper put in a U shaped copper pipe and ran it under our pavers but I doubt it's 3 ft deep based on all the other mistakes he made.
1hagop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1hagop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by atmouloua atmouloua wrote:

Our landscaper put in a U shaped copper pipe and ran it under our pavers but I doubt it's 3 ft deep based on all the other mistakes he made.

Someone help out here. I thought copper was not used in California because we follow the UPC. I know it is okay to use in other states but I thought here it was a no no!!!

If the pipe is not at least 18" under the ground it is illegal, and obviously no permits issued!!! Not good.....
President of the Society for the Advancement of Sarcasm. Like we need your support...

Sarc: My second favorite -asm.
Jeff View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
My name is Jeff but friends call me Jeff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 9:09pm
Gas pipes should be iron, not copper.
mh_is_home View Drop Down
Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mh_is_home Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 10:11pm
Correct - copper is not allowed for natural gas in CA....unfortunately especially in situations i.e. direct burial where rust can occur.
Iron or the newer yellow flex piping is ok.
If you're burrying the iron then it should be the coated iron (green coating on it).
When our line went in, we put a gravel base under it and surrounded it in sand. This in combination with the coated pipe will prevent any chance of rust or water pooling around the line.

Another way to test for leaks is to pressurize the line with an air compressor and then use the dish soap trick...
Jim View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
Jim Lamb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 7:23am
Many grills can't us NG.
My grill has an upgrade kit, but not all grills do.
It's certainly not as simple as just hooking up the gas line to the old grill.

I'm not 100% certain, but it's my understanding that if you modify the gas plumbing at all, a permit is required.  That includes removing the pipe cover and putting on a valve.
That's because there are proper valves and pipe work for gas.
Not everybody at Home Depot is up on the proper code, and from the post above a lot of landscapers do this sort of work, but don't necessarily know the code either.
It might be worth a call to the county to make sure.

Given you messing with gas and an exposed flame, I'd want to make sure it's done properly.

Good luck.

Edited by Jim - June-20-2012 at 9:51am
Opinions and information provided by me are mine alone and do not necessarily represent the board or districts point of view.
Jim Lamb
atmouloua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atmouloua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2012 at 9:42am
Me too, thanks! Luckily for the general public our idiot landscape contractor is now selling Omaha Steaks door to door. We've spent $1000 so far fixing his mistakes.
Evergreen Landscaping - don't go there!
Aj123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aj123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2013 at 10:25pm
Can anyone recommend a professional who is licensed and can connect my grill to my natural gas outlet?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic