Facebook
Google+
Google+

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP: Smoke Alarms keeps beeping!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bigmommanette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmommanette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP: Smoke Alarms keeps beeping!!!!
    Posted: May-07-2010 at 1:53pm
I know I've asked this before.... 

And thank you for the suggestions and replies. However after trying those... Months and months later, our FIREX smoke alarm still does a single beep every 60 seconds. One would think this is ALOT! But the sad thing is, it's gone on for so long that, we've started to tune it out i guess. But when I do actually count it, it's on the dot.. every minute. The only time we really really notice it is obviously at night, and when people come over they always say, "what is that?" "why's it keep beeping?"

With or without a battery the dhang thing keeps beeping. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it... PLEASE???!!!!! It's really starting to get annoying. 

btw... i've just bought BRAND NEW DURACELL batteries, and the sucker still beeps. HELP!!!!
wlm546 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wlm546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 1:59pm
1. get sledge hammer
2. put goggles on
3. get neighbor to set up video camera
4. smash away
5. next weekend have barbecue with neighbors watching video with a cold drink (your choice)

problem solved.

Sorry, do not have any other suggestions

Jim View Drop Down
Forum L337
Forum L337
Jim Lamb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 2:09pm
The batteries need to get replaced every year or so.
Without the bateries, the thing will beep because it's hooked to the house power.
They are designed to go of in the event of power falure.

I've found a few where the little metal clip that pushes up against the battery lead needs to be bent so that it will properly make contact.  If the battery is not properly connected then the system will beep.

There's also the possibility that the detector is bad.
In that case, you can get the moddel number and order on on-line.
The forex ones are a bit more wexpensive than what you can get online.

If you really can figure it out, I'd be willing to take a look at it.
I have to service these things all the time in the rental properties.
Opinions and information provided by me are mine alone and do not necessarily represent the board or districts point of view.
Jim Lamb
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 2:10pm
Have you try replacing the smoke detector ? Maybe you got a bad smoke detector.
David Pombo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Pombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 3:30pm
After checking that the batteries are installed properly and that the contacts are touching the batteries, as Jim suggested, you might try locating the electrical breaker that powers the smoke detector and shut it off for a few minutes, it may reset the detector and stop the beeping.
David Pombo

vermont View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vermont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2010 at 4:58pm
I had the same problem sometime ago.. I replaced the batteries few times and every time I get a different brand but that did not help.. I removed the batteries entirely and still got that sound every  approx one minute.. anyways, I later called the builder and they came and replaced the unit (the smoke detector itself) which might be 20-30$ I guess.. and that resolved my problem..
ajoyce21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajoyce21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 12:47am
Are smoke detectors interchangable between brands?  As in, if I have brand that seems to keep malfunctioning, would a new brand hook in and fit correctly into the ceiling?
We can do no great things... only small things with great love
Martyns View Drop Down
Forum Expert
Forum Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 7:58am

Bigmommanette, what’s the update regarding your Smoke Alarms that kept beeping…Has the problem been resolved? Inquiring minds wants to know pleaseWink..

“A good neighbor is one of the most effective crime prevention tools ever invented."

"What we don't know is what got us in trouble, what we thought we know is NOT true.

tlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2010 at 12:30pm
Just had the same problem. Apparently sometimes they need to be reset manually. If you have a Fireex brand here's how you do it.

3) Reset the alarm.

Most current model smoke alarms have a processor that retains certain error conditions, such as a weak battery. The error condition should reset when the battery is replaced but sometimes it does not and must be manually reset to clear the error.

To reset an AC unit with a battery backup:

Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker.  Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power. Remove the battery. Press and hold the test button for at least 15 seconds. The unit may chirp or alarm for a few seconds before going silent.  Reconnect the power and reinstall the battery. The unit will chirp once when the power is restored and should not chirp afterwards."

Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic